Hello, we are recruiting.
As the Biocatalysis Development Chemist you will report directly to the Head of Innovation.
The main purpose of your role will be to develop and demonstrate new biocatalysis processes in the laboratory and translate those processes into ones which are capable of running within the Sterling’s assets at the appropriate scale.
- Introducing new biocatalysis methods into Sterling.
- Writing Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for the use of new equipment, using MasterControl.
- Defining and/or demonstrating process route(s), draft process outlines and approve Process Record Sheets (PRS).
- Developing and optimising processes.
- Supporting scale-up, pilot, semi works and commercial manufacture, which may include shift working.
- Dealing with technical transfer processes to other Sterling facilities.
- Complying with all EHS requirements including safety policies and procedures.
- Conducting EHS audits and internal safety/housekeeping audits.
- Working closely with Hazard Evaluation and EHS to ensure that all processes are safe both at laboratory and manufacturing scale.
- Preparing interim and final reports and communicating as and when required with customers.
- Liaising with the commercial department on proposal writing.
- Accompanying the Commercial Team visiting customers and customer visits to Sterling.
- Increasing Sterling’s external biocatalysis network from academia and industry.
- Embodying our company values, which are: be reliable, be caring, be transparent and be willing.
Requirements for the role
- Degree in a relevant chemical discipline.
- preferably PhD in Synthetic Organic Chemistry or Biochemistry.
- Significant R&D experience.
- Excellent laboratory skills.
- Good knowledge of plant based unit operations and the application of techniques such as BRITEST to improve process.
- Must be able to operate to cGMP requirements.
How you will be rewarded
We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package including bonus, pension scheme, private healthcare, Perkbox, cycle to work scheme, death in service coverage, on-site health and wellbeing support including medical consultations and physiotherapy, 24/7 employee assistance programme, employee referral scheme, sports and social club as well as opportunity for training and further career development.
Why consider Sterling?
Sterling Pharma Solutions is a global contract development and manufacturing organisation (CDMO) with more than 50 years’ experience in developing and manufacturing Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients (APIs). This is complemented by Antibody Drug Conjugate (ADC) research and development bioconjugation services.
We are a fast growing, dynamic business with facilities in the UK and the US, where we employ more than 800 talented and passionate people who support our customers in bringing new medicines to market, improving and saving the lives of patients.
Our culture and our way of working is what really sets us apart as a business; we aim to deliver an exceptional experience to our customers and our employees. You can expect to be part of a supportive team, all working towards a shared goal: to deliver first-class science and service to our customers every day.
How to apply
If you have the necessary skills and experience to join our team, please apply online.
Sterling Pharma Solutions is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.