Hello, we are hiring now
Senior Policy Adviser
Salary: £39,748 per annum
Hours: Full time
Contract Type: Open Ended
The role will sit within the research directorate of Research England. The directorate is responsible for Research England’s policy development, evaluation and implementation aimed at maximising the excellence and impact of research in universities in England. This role will lead and/or support work on Research England’s broad research funding portfolio.
You will lead and/or support work across Research England’s funding interests, including (not limited to):
RE quality-related research funding:
- lead elements of Research England’s policy development and implementation for its recurrent quality-related research funding (QR)
- lead elements of Research England’s programme of work to support the balanced funding, sustainability and health of the research base work streams
RE international research funding policy:
- lead on international research funding policy, working with senior colleagues both within RE and across UKRI, including the provision of advice in issues pertaining to international research funding, engagement in relevant groups and liaison with UUKi on relevant areas
- supporting senior colleagues in areas of activity related to the UKRI international work stream
Supporting wider areas of policy:
- working closely with other colleagues, you may also be asked to lead on discrete areas of the funding portfolio and other areas within the directorate as priorities evolve.
- managing and developing effective relations with universities, UKRI colleagues, other research funders and other external organisations
- leading discussions and providing advice on Research England issues
Communication and Representation:
- representing Research England at external meetings and presenting to external groups
- initial preparation of Research England Council and UKRI Executive Committee papers and other documents
- delegating work to colleagues and supporting junior staff as required.
Information management and analysis of data:
- assessing and using accurate information in policy development
- analysis and interpretation of data and evidence, including funding data.
- Graduate level qualifications or equivalent
- Experience of working in higher education; or research; or developing and implementing policy
- Strong analytical ability, experience of analysis and interpretation of data and evidence to form judgements and make appropriate recommendations
- Ability to understand new issues and to contribute to the policy development process
- A proven ability to work in and lead project teams/policy areas and a knowledge of project management tools
- Ability to manage own workload, resolve competing demands and cope with changing priorities in a flexible and proactive way
- Ability to represent the views of the council to external stakeholders and to negotiate with and influence stakeholders
- Ability to appropriately tailor communications in style and content according to audience
- A confident, assertive and co-operative style with an ability to build positive relationships and deal effectively with people at all levels.
In return UKRI can offer the successful candidate:
– Flexible Working.
– 30 days annual leave + Public Holidays.
– Access to Civil Service Pension Scheme.
– Various everyday discounts through our dedicated provider.
For more information and to apply, please visit our Careers Pages