We’re hiring Senior User Researchers who can inspire and lead our UR community, and influence our project teams.
Our DWP Digital community is taking on a once-in-a-generation digital transformation. We’re bringing together the best tech, tooling and in-house talent to design and build modern, simple-to-use products and services.
And you’ll help put user needs, and expert user research, at the heart of everything we do.
Crucial public services like Universal Credit, Pensions, Benefits, Disability Services and Child Maintenance are already available to UK Citizens, but just how accessible are they? How well do they work for the millions of people that use them every day?
Our User Researchers work directly with the people who access our support, advice, guidance, payments and services, to turn user needs into brilliant user-centric services.
So, what can I expect as a Senior User Researcher in DWP?
You’re an experienced practitioner in User Research, so you’ll be used to planning and leading user research activities across complex projects and services.
Our User Researchers use a wide range of research methodologies, both qualitative and quantitative depending on the requirements of each project/programme.
You have the expertise to define a problem, and pick the right research strategies and methods to help us understand and design for our users’ needs.
You’ll be an expert UR voice in our community. You will lead and inspire our User Researchers, championing a user-centred and evidence-based approach.
You’ll make telling recommendations based on a variety of research outcomes, which inform the way we deliver our wide range of products and services for millions of people.
We work in an agile environment, as part of multi-disciplinary project teams, and expert communities of practice. You’ll keep our teams locked in on user centred design based on user needs and quality user research.
You’ll be an advocate for inclusive research principles, planning and conduct, considering the diversity of our users and their different needs. DWP services need to work for everyone.
If you’d like to be involved, we’d love to hear from you.
Your essential skills, knowledge and experience
- Experience helping teams use, and choose from, a wide range of user research tools and methodologies.
- Able to plan user research for services with challenging user needs and complex user journeys
- Can align research activities across teams to organisational goals, to inform policy and proposition.
- Can distinguish user needs from what a user wants, and meet those needs across channels.
- Able to integrate digital analytics with qualitative data, such as user surveys and user research, to develop hypotheses for testing.
- A champion for user research, with a focus on all users.
- Can prioritise and define approaches to understand the user story, guiding others in doing so.
- Able to help teams understand the ways that digital technology is changing user behaviour, and the challenges and opportunities for design and delivery of services.
Details. Wages. Perks.
You’ll join us in your choice of our digital hubs in Birmingham, Blackpool, Leeds, Manchester, Newcastle-upon-Tyne or Sheffield.
We also have all the tools and tech we need to enable our people to work flexibly. We operate a hybrid working model with a mix of home working and some time in the office.
In return for your skills, we offer competitive pay of up to £75,781 p.a.
You’ll be eligible for a brilliant civil service pension with employer contributions of 27.9%, worth up to over £21,000 a year.
You’ll get a generous leave package starting at 26 days, rising to 31 days.
Plus, all the usual bank holidays, and the option to take up 3 extra days a month off on flexi leave.
We also have a broad benefits package built around your work-life balance which includes:
- Flexible working, flexi hours and flexi days
- Hybrid working: some time in a hub with the team, some time at home
- Family-friendly policies
- Time off for volunteering and charitable giving
- Bring your authentic self to work with ‘I Can Be Me in DWP’
- Discounts and savings on shopping, fun days out and more
- Interest-free loans to buy a bike or a season ticket
- Sports and social activities
- Working in an award-winning environment and culture
- Professional development, coaching, mentoring and career progression opportunities.