Hiring Now: Junior Product Designer Wanted
Hello, we are now hiring.
At British Gas, we’re evolving to become a truly purpose-led organisation, helping millions of customers to live more sustainably, simply, and affordably. We have a huge role to play in helping the nation to cut carbon emissions and prepare for a net zero future.
We’re excited about a future where we can help every driveway in the UK to have an EV charger, thousands of homes to be powered by a heat pump, and so much more. Change of this magnitude doesn’t happen overnight, but we truly believe that we have a huge role to play in helping the nation to cut carbon emissions and in helping millions of households through a once in a generation cost-of-living crisis.
We’re on a mission to transform the relationship our customers have with their homes. We’re creating connected products that are powered by innovative technologies and brilliant services. Through our family of brands, we will work tirelessly with our customers to understand their needs, problems, and homes to constantly improve the services offer and help grow our business.
To get where we are going, we have a fantastic opportunity for a Junior Product Designer. You will be part of a dynamic team of Product Designers, Services Designers and Researchers, passionate about delivering world-class experiences across our 3 brands: British Gas, Hive and Local Heroes.
What will you do?
- Designing world-class products and features.
- Working across our different brands: British Gas, Hive and Local Heroes.
- Working on web and mobile app experiences.
- Working closely with Product Owners and Tech teams to ship high quality work.
- Contributing to our design systems and continuous improvement of ways of working within the team.
- Researching and understanding customer needs through explorative research, usability testing and data analysis.
Who are we looking for?
- Demonstratable competency and strong hands-on capabilities across UX, UI, Prototyping and User Research.
- You have proven experience with digital design tools (we mainly use Figma)
- You have proven experience with prototyping (in Figma or other prototyping tools).
- You have a great understanding of mobile app design and responsive web.
- Degree in product design, graphic design, digital design.
- You are passionate to truly understand the customers’ behaviours and needs.
- You are determined to deliver the best possible experience and products for our customers within the given constraints.
- You are a team player with the team’s interest at heart.
- You are curious and proactive, staying up to date with trends in the industry.
- You have a keen eye for detail, but don’t get stuck on the details, being able to quickly solve design problems.
- You take ownership and are committed to delivering high quality work against deadlines.
- You are comfortable with explaining your design decisions and presenting your work to the rest of the design team or stakeholders.
We are proud to be recognised as a disability-confident employer. Our customers come from a variety of different backgrounds, and so do we. We hire great people from all walks of life, not just because it’s the right thing to do, but because it makes our company stronger. We will continue championing inclusivity while investing in our local communities to create a better, more sustainable world for everyone. We are incredibly proud to have been recognised by The Times for being one of the Top 50 Employers for Women.
Our people are the beating heart of our business. We are incredibly proud of our commitment to being FlexFirst. From childcare to furry friends, we listened to our people and understood that they work best when they are comfortable and have a flexible working model that suits their individual needs. We embrace the opportunity to give our colleagues a choice to work from anywhere whilst still ensuring they can connect and engage with their teams through office days, employee networks and virtual events.
We have tailored our well-being & benefits package around our employees as follows;
- Competitive salary and bonus potential
- Employee Energy Allowance
- Pension scheme
- Electric car lease scheme
- 33 days holiday allowance, inclusive of public holidays, and the option to buy/sell up to 5 additional days
- Excellent range of flexible benefits, including technology vouchers & travel insurance
We are committed to creating a cleaner and greener future. And we’re making big changes to help us get there. That means cutting customers’ emissions and our own to reach net zero. And because our people are the beating heart of our business, we will continue to champion inclusivity, develop future skills and invest in our local communities to create a better world for everyone. As part of our reforestation project with WeForest, for every new employee that joins our family, we plant trees in underprivileged areas in Tanzania to offer farming and wildlife economy opportunities for locals.