Hello there, we are hiring.
DWP is the biggest government department in the UK. Over 20 million people access our services everyday, and we make payments worth over £195bn every year.
We’re recruiting Java Engineers in our brilliant digital hubs in Birmingham, Leeds, London and Manchester. We want devs and engineers with the skills to design, build and maintain government digital services that really work for the people that need them.
You’ll write code that changes the face of public services, helps people get the support they need more quickly and easily, and helps transform the future of millions of people.
Delivering World-Class Performance.
We want our Java Engineers to work with freedom and autonomy. We write code and make design decisions which shape the future engineering landscape of DWP, and especially of our flagship service Universal Credit.
We develop, build and support products and applications as part of multi-functional agile delivery teams, working alongside researchers, analysts, designers, architects, testers and more.
Together we use the latest and greatest tools and technologies to build applications and products that work for millions of users.
You’ll be part of a thriving Engineering community of practice, supported by over 200 other engineering experts from across the UK, all united by passion and purpose.
We want you to be at your best. We’ll give you the tools and time to build your capability, with coaching, mentoring, qualifications and formal learning, meet-ups or whatever else works for you.
We’re looking for skills, knowledge and experience of:
- Recent experience of Java (minimum version 8).
- Developing on cloud-based environments like AWS and Azure.
- A good understanding of TDD and BDD.
- SQL and noSQL database applications such as Postgres, MySQL, and MongoDB.
- The skills to build up a useful, robust automated test suite to support a continuous deployment environment.
- Knowledge and experience of APIs, RESTful services and Microservice Architectures.
Details. Wages. Perks.
You’ll join us in your choice of our brilliant digital hubs in Birmingham, Leeds, London or Manchester
We also have all the tools and tech we need to enable our people to work and collaborate flexibly.
We work a hybrid model with 60% home working.
We’ll pay you up to £56,480.
You’ll also get a brilliant civil service pension with employer contributions of 27.1%, and a generous leave package starting at 26 and rising to 31 days.
Our benefits package is built around your work-life balance and includes:
- Flexible working, flexi hours and flexi days
- Hybrid working: some time in a hub with the team, some time at home
- Family-friendly policies
- Time off volunteering and charitable giving
- Bring your authentic self to work with ‘I Can Be Me in DWP’
- Discounts and savings on shopping, fun days out and more
- Interest-free loans to buy a bike or a season ticket, so it’s even easier for you to get to work and start making a difference
- Sports and social activities
- Working in an award-winning environment and culture
How to Apply:
Click the apply button and you’ll be redirected to Civil Service Jobs, where you can get full details and submit an application.
Stage 1: Complete an application form with your basic details and upload your CV. We’ll assess your CV for evidence of the required skills and experience.
Stage 2: We’ll send you a coding exercise.
Stage 3: If successful in the above we’ll invite you to interview as soon as possible.