Hello, we are recruiting.
JTL, established in 1989, is the leading work-based learning provider in the building services engineering sector across England and Wales. We`re a not-for-profit charity offering advanced apprenticeships in electrical, engineering maintenance, and mechanical engineering services comprising plumbing and heating and ventilating. We serve approximately 7,000 apprentices and 3,000 employers in 4 regions across England and Wales. All our funding is reinvested in apprenticeship training.
So, imagine what you could achieve as part of our team.
You will lead our HR function within JTL using your expertise to advise managers and employees on a wide range of employment issues and their implications. Overseeing day to day management of the team and payroll, you`ll ensure that activities support the achievement of corporate objectives. This will include monitoring a small, busy, experienced team and the maintenance of comprehensive HR records compliant with data protection, equal opportunities and other legal requirements whilst retaining the company`s existing accreditations and also expanding them where necessary.
To be successful in this post, you will need to be resilient, a team player and able to work collaboratively with a range of internal and external partners and demonstrate excellent interpersonal and relationship building skills. As an active Investors in People company there will be many learning and development opportunities and you will be encouraged to take advantage of these and to share and apply your learning. Our ideal candidate will espouse JTL’s values of respect, integrity, professionalism, and responsiveness.
As a Graduate CIPD or with significant experience in similar position, you will have proven hands-on HR management experience and a good working knowledge of Employment Law alongside relevant systems and databases. Experience gained working in the education sector would be a distinct advantage. Excellent planning, communication and leadership skills are, of course, essential – as are great IT skills and use of a car.
In addition to an attractive salary, there is an excellent benefits package that includes training and development, an occupational pension scheme and private medical insurance.
JTL is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of young people and expects all its employees to share this commitment. We are passionate about creating an inclusive workplace that promotes and values diversity. We welcome applicants from all sections of the community.
An Enhanced DBS check will be required.
Location: Head Office / Home (hybrid working)
To be responsible for all human resource and people development activity at JTL ensuring that all activities meet business needs, comply with prevailing legislation and ensures that JTL can attract, retain and develop great people.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
- Oversee the day-to-day management of the HR team ensuring that all employees are appropriately motivated, trained and carry out their responsibilities to the required standards.
- Provide a comprehensive HR advisory service to managers and directors to ensure that the company follows best practice in management of its staff and to ensure compliance with legal requirements.
- Monitor team performance to ensure that activities support the achievement of corporate objectives and ensure that appropriate action is taken to address performance issues.
- Ensure the company retain all existing external accreditations (IiP, Disability Confident, Committed to Equality, Leaders in Safeguarding) and apply for others as business needs dictate.
- Develop and implement HR policies and strategies which support business goals and ensure that these are communicated and implemented throughout the company in a way that supports corporate objectives.
- Maintain comprehensive HR records to ensure compliance with data protection, equal opportunities and other legal requirements.
- Oversee the efficient and accurate running of monthly payroll.
- Offer advice to management and employees on performance, attendance and other employment-related issues & oversee disciplinary action responses.
- Actively promote equality, diversity and inclusion as part of the culture of the organisation.
- Keep abreast of changes to employment legislation and provide accurate advice to all staff including making recommendations and advising the Directors of the implications of legal changes for JTL and co-ordinate the implementation of these changes.
- A relevant CIPD/HR degree-level qualification or significant experience in a similar role
- Maths and English at GCSE /O’level A-C, 9-5 or equivalent
- Proven human resources management experience
- Excellent IT skills and knowledge of HR systems and databases
- Strong planning and organisation skills
- Strong communication and leadership skills
- Driving Licence and use of a car
- Experience in the work based learning or commercial training sector
- Experience in an Ofsted environment
- Experience within the e-learning/ blended learning environment
7 Core Competencies:
Planning & Organising
3 Role-Specific Competencies
Motivating and Developing People