Hello, we are hiring.
Walter Lilly is a premier provider of construction and maintenance services for luxurious residential homes, landmark and heritage buildings, and state-of-the-art science and higher education facilities across London and the South East.
Established in 1924, and boasting nearly 100 years of heritage and expertise, we work with the world’s leading architects, designers, and craftsmen, on a project portfolio ranging from the opulence of the finest listed buildings to cutting-edge contemporary structures.
With an exciting strategy for business growth in 2023, we are now looking for a Design Manager to join us on a permanent, full-time basis.
– Competitive salary
– Yearly discretionary performance bonus
– 26 days’ annual leave per annum increasing with service plus Bank Holidays
– Car allowance plus travel expenses to work capped at £500 per month
– Where appropriate flexible and hybrid working arrangements
– Pension scheme (up to 10% employer contribution)
– Private medical insurance, healthcare cash plan, personal accident and life assurance cover
– Reimbursement of fees for one professional body membership
– Cycle to work scheme, electric car leasing scheme
– Fresh fruit, a monthly team meal, social events and long service rewards
– Shopping, health & fitness and trade discounts
This is an exceptional opportunity for a high calibre and eminently talented construction Design Manager to further develop their portfolio with our growing, successful business.
From splendid restorations of Grade 1 heritage buildings to exquisite country homes, to complex research labs, you’ll have the chance to work on an impressive range of exclusive projects and develop a world-class portfolio of work undertaken to the highest possible standards.
We are focused on safety and well-being in the workplace, with qualified mental health first aiders as part of our teams as well as providing an employee assistance programme providing round-the-clock support when needed.
To complement this, we provide our people with a range of health-focused benefits, fitness discounts, volunteering and well-being days.
As a Design Manager, you will manage the design process to deliver technically compliant, cost-efficient and coordinated design packages, during both the pre-construction and project delivery stages.
You will bring together specialist subcontractors, design team members and consultants, creating a collaborative environment to deliver design information that meets our customer’s requirements and conforms to building regulations.
Working on a variety of contract types and multiple projects, you will manage the design information release, production and approval of technical drawings, chair design workshops, coordinate complex design packages, and validate and interrogate design details, adding value to the construction process.
Providing expert guidance and technical support, you will work closely with both clients and project teams to identify and mitigate risks, as well as ensure compliance with all statutory, legal, and planning requirements.
Additionally, your role will involve:
– Assisting with the selection and scope of suitable subcontractors for Contractor Design Portions and working drawings
– Ensuring accurate and comprehensive records are maintained
– Managing the production of handover manuals
– Work with our document controllers in the set-up and management of the project’s common data environment
– Overseeing sample, mock-up and control sample production and approval including occasional supplier visits and material selection trips
To be considered as a Design Manager, you will need:
– Proven experience in leading and completing projects of varying value, type and complexity, ideally from a Main Contractor background
– To be based in a suitable location to cover projects in areas such as Windsor, Beaconsfield and Weybridge with transport links to cover our central London projects
– An appetite for your continual professional development
– A track record of successfully managing people and process
– Deep understanding of planning procedures, Building Regulations, listed building consents, CDM Regulations and other third-party requirements
– Knowledge of the commonly used provisions of the Standard Forms of Contract
– The ability to robustly interpret and interrogate drawings and technical specifications
– A particular attention to detail and quality
– Excellent time management and problem-solving ability
– Understanding of software such as Viewpoint, Revit, BIM Collab or Navisworks
– A relevant professional qualification or working towards (MCIOB, RIBA, RICS)
– Appropriate CSCS card
– A valid drawing licence
– A construction-related degree (desirable)
Other organisations may call this role, Construction Design Manager, Design Project Manager, Construction Design Project Manager, or Technical Design Manager.
Interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis as suitable candidates apply, so we encourage you to apply ASAP!
Diversity & Inclusion is central to our core values of integrity, honesty and fairness in our dealings with our customers, staff, subcontractors and suppliers.
Our Diversity and Inclusion journey at Walter Lilly is constantly evolving to remain aligned with the external environment. Our D&I roadmap is designed to challenge thinking and celebrate a diverse workforce. It includes improving the gender balance within our industry, improving awareness, and encouraging conversation through regular forums and events.
So, if you want to develop a unique career in this engaging role as a Design Manager, please apply via the button shown. Your application, CV review and interview will be conducted by Walter Lilly employees.