Hello, we are hiring.
This is a fantastic opportunity to join Fife Council in a job that offers a varied role in a friendly and supportive environment. The post is a full-time permanent position within the Health, Safety and Wellbeing Team (HSW). The successful candidate will be offered either FC6 H&S Officer or FC7 H&S Adviser post dependent upon qualification and experience. The successful candidate will be working with Health and Safety Advisers and supporting the Health and Safety Lead Officers and HR Service Manager. There will be an opportunity, through further interview, to move to FC7 upon achieving the required skills/experience/ qualifications. There will also be a period of shadowing and training prior to taking up full duties.
The FC6 post would be ideal for someone with health and safety experience working towards a H&S qualification or someone with a H&S qualification but requiring experience. Whereas the FC7 post is ideal for an experienced, qualified H&S professional.
The FC6/FC7 post will involve Corporate and Operational work and could involve a range of the following varied tasks:
- Working in a range of formal settings (e.g., Consultation Forums, H&S Service-level Working Groups).
- Providing support and guidance promoting a culture where H&S is always considered alongside other priorities.
- Promoting corporate systems, e.g. accident reporting, elearning.
- Providing advice or leading on specialist professional topic or risk areas.
- Writing for, and updating H&S information on, the Intranet.
- Supporting managers to implement the Council’s Health and Safety Policy, Management, Framework and legal obligations.
- Supporting incident investigations.
- Monitoring, auditing, and reviewing health and safety arrangements.
- Conducting site visits.
- Providing cover (with support) across all areas of the council with opportunities to enable and further your development.
- Engaging with services on designated priorities, and advising practical solutions.
- Researching, developing, reviewing, updating, and introducing new and existing policy, guidance, processes, procedures for a variety of purposes/audiences.
- Developing/delivering formal audit programs, monitoring regimes, compliance sampling activities and workplace inspection regimes.
- Identifying gaps and opportunities for improving health and safety performance and advancing solutions through delivered projects.
Familiar using computer applications and systems. It is desirable that the candidate has some experience with specialist applications such as accident databases, eLearning tools, video development, Power BI, intranet, or web design.
You will be enthusiastic, have good communication, IT and report writing skills and be an effective and supportive team player. You will have experience in devising, delivering, and implementing pragmatic and proportionate solutions, in compliance with statutory requirements and best practice.
The successful applicant will be able to evidence a comprehensive, practical knowledge and experience of health and safety risk in one or more industry sectors (e.g., construction, manufacturing, motor vehicle repair, education, engineering, social care) or in a related discipline (e.g., occupational hygiene, behavioural safety, ergonomics and human factors, occupational health provision, etc.
Essential: Knowledge of H&S legislation. Educated to SCQF Level 8 which includes HND or SVQ Level 4 or equivalent.
Desirable: Working towards NEBOSH H&S general certificate or equivalent. Post holders who do not hold the NEBOSH H&S general certificate will be required to obtain it within 6 months of start (subject to funding agreement).
Essential: At least 5 years relevant Industry Sector or related professional discipline experience. At least 2 years post NEBOSH certificate experience in a specific health and safety role. Educated to at least SCQF level 7, which includes NEBOSH General Certificate.
Desirable: Educated to SCQF level 8, which includes NEBOSH Diploma (or equivalent). Postholders who do not hold the NEBOSH Diploma, (or equivalent), on appointment will be required to obtain the full Diploma within 3 years of appointment to the role to fully enable generic and lead specialist working.